Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Review: KR Multicase System (Double Size Case)

That's right, I went all extravagant and went right ahead and purchased myself a KR Multicase for my Necrons, and a double sized case at that.

The primary reason I bought myself one of these is purely because my Monolith doesn't fit in a standard GW case and they stopped doing the monster cases a while back. I had heard a lot of good things about the product so I decided to get one of their bigger cases and test it out.

The great thing about the KR Multicases is that you can order custom cut trays for various army (I'm pretty sure they cater for all Games Workshop armies as well), but if that seems a little too extravagant, they also supply a guide to what miniatures fit which core trays. Very useful. So without further ado, let's run through what you get for your buck.

Ordering your case

KR supply a variety of sizes for their cases, from standard size (same size as a Games Workshop case and also comes in a reinforced cardboard format) to six times storage. They also have a skirmish variant (half the size of a standard case) and the gigantic prestige case (big enough to hold a Titan!). As well as all this, they supply backpacks and bags that can hold several cases for your convenience. Very nice.

When you order your case, you are presented with a choice. You can get the case empty or fill it up with set core trays, of which there is plenty of variety. If you go to your own army's page, you can also choose a "Bespoke Case" which can also be filled with custom fit trays (all or nothing) or, again, core trays, but doing so this way will tell you what each selection will hold from your army. Very useful.

It is worth pointing out that KR trays typically come in 5 depth sizes, in half and full tray sizes: 1/4th, 1/3rd, 1 half, 2/3rds and full depth. These are all compared to a standard size case, so keep in mind how much of your case each tray takes up. Of course if you order core tray sets, you can ignore this problem.

I will also advise to shop around for the best deal. Sometimes core trays are cheaper in sets, or you will want to order custom trays on top, which sometimes gives you more trays for less, so check before you buy. Also, if you go for the Fed Ex courier option, unless you really need it in a hurry, don't both with the 24 hour option. I chose the 48 hour option, £5 cheaper and still got it next day.

The case itself

This is what you get in the case

Inside your case you will find any foam you ordered that fits in the case (even if it wasn't ordered as part of a pre-filled case), an empty label holder, a shoulder strap and instructions on how to lock your case (more on that in a moment). I've seen many videos where people got a packet of silica gel, but I personally didn't so I can't comment.

The foam that KR supply is very soft, much softer than the foam Games Workshop supply in their cases, and very tough. I've done some testing on a spare tray, tearing and pulling at it and it's still good as new. The inside of the case, unlike the Games Workshop case is lined with a smooth, soft material that adds some extra protection to your precious miniatures.

A combination lock comes with the double and larger cases
If you order a double sized case or larger, your case will also come with a couple of combination locks which do work nicely. This picture was taken before I set my combination (because I don't want people knowing it) but it's incredibly simple to set up. There are instructions inside the case on how to do it, and the lock keeps your case nice and secure.

An example of some Necron custom trays
One of my favourite things, however, about the KR system is the custom trays you can order. These are a bit more expensive than the core trays but they are amazing. In the above example I show a Necron Monolith custom tray (which comes with an opposing "lid" style tray not shown), which is a full tray and another 3rd in depth. I also show the Command Barge and Triarch Stalker custom tray.

As you can see, the models fit snugly in their trays and are a good fit. in the left tray, you'll see some precut foam which is removable. I have only taken the segment out for my Annihilation Barge as I have nothing to fill the other two segments as of yet.

Finally I want to talk about the outer case itself. It's about as tough as a general Games Workshop case but surprisingly light as well. I misjudged it's weight first time and almost threw the thing over my shoulder.

Overall

I highly recommend these cases. They are more expensive than the Games Workshop cases (unless you go for the standard cardboard set up) but the quality of the cases and foam are far superior. If that's not reason enough, the fact KR do bigger cases means you can easily transport your larger miniatures without trying to construct your own carry system to go with your existing case. Well worth looking into at the very least.

You can find their site by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment