Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Meanwhile, at the legion of doom...

As it turns out, I have a few things I could post about, but unfortunately obstacles block my path putting yet more delays on my post. I have the pictures and notes to write a battle report from the weekend, but I'm waiting on my opponent to send me the points value of his list. I have finished my entry for a painting contest I'm entering, but it's preferred that I don't post it until the deadline next month so as not to influence the other entrants and put me at a disadvantage. Very, very frustrating when it comes to updating a blog, most of my time and effort have been put into these.

That's not to say I have nothing to post about fortunately. Recently I have been putting thought back into planning my Ultramarines properly once I have enough Necrons to satisfy me (I will keep working on them, but you know, have to mix it up at some point!). As such I've been experimenting with the idea of using different painting methods, particularly over a white undercoat. These are test models, so neatness wasn't priority here...


The model on the left was painted using Drakenhof Nightshade directly over the white undercoat followed by a covering of Guilliman Blue glaze. It didn't come out very Ultramarine-y, and I discovered Blue Glaze just refuses to stick to a model. Could very well work for Space Wolves though...

The model on the right was painting using Enchanted Blue and heavily washed with Drakenhof Nightshade. It is definitely closer to the effect I was looking for and I was quite surprised with how smooth the blue paint looks after washing, especially as it was an old style paint and it wasn't thinned. I may just investigate this one a bit further.

It was an interesting experiment that proved something a friend of mine told me. It may not be clear in the picture above, but shades really do go on layer paints better than directly over undercoat, the application is somehow... smoother, whereas over undercoat it looks a little rough.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents for today, with any luck I will have a battle report by the end of the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment