Monday, 7 January 2013

Painting Contest Entry: Culexus Assassin

So, today's the day I can finally unveil the miniature I have entered into my hobby group's monthly painting contest. This month we had to paint a Non-Astartes Imperial miniature, so I dug around my old miniatures and found a fully undercoated Culexus Assassin that I thought would be ideal for painting:


The miniature took me around about 3 days to paint, that's including other life inconveniences such as work, food, computer games etc.

To begin with, I've never been a fan of the pure black basecoat method, nor the grey highlighting most people go for. I basecoated the miniature's suit with a mixture of Abaddon Black and a tiny bit of Rotting Flesh (not sure of the new alternative, possibly Karak Stone?). I then washed the whole suit with Nuln Oil and did several layers of highlight, each time adding a little more Rotting Flesh to the paint mix.

The bone colours came out better than expected and the way I painted them is dead simple. Paint the areas with Ceramite White and follow that with a wash of Agrax Earthshade. Done!

For the metals, I wanted to go for a more imperial (gothic) look than my Necrons, so the basic metal was done with a base coat of my custom 50/50 mix of Abaddon Black & Leadbelcher, followed by a a wash of Nuln Oil. For the larger spots of metal, I then drybrushed Necron Compound on top of this and for smaller areas, I did a fine highlight of pure Leadbelcher. The bronze parts were painted with a mixture of Tin Bitz and Gehenna's Gold, washed with Agrax Earthshade, drybrushed with Gehenna's Gold and a final, selective highlight with said gold colour.

The leathers were basecoated with Bestial Brown (Mournfang Brown), washed with Agrax Earthshade, highlighted with more Bestial Brown mixed with Vermin Brown (Skrag Brown) then had a final highlight of pure Vermin Brown.

The wires were a simple concoction of 2 colours each, a basecoat and a highlight. For blue, I basecoated Ultramarine Blue (Altdorf Guard Blue) and highlighted Enchanted Blue (Caledor Sky). For red, I basecoated Khorne Red and highlighted Evil Sunz Scarlet. For green, I basecoated Warpstone Glow and highlighted Goblin Green (Warboss Green).


The eyes and lens were basecoated Khorne Red, then repainted Evil Suns Scarlet, leaving a small circle of the basecoat in the top left of the eye/lens, then highlighted the bottom right of each eye/lens with a mixture of Evil Suns Scarlet and Blazing Orange (Troll Slayer Orange) and then pure Blazing Orange. I added a small dot of Ceramite White at the top left of the lens and the top, back corners of the eyes.

Finally, the base was painting Graveyard Earth, then I added some of Games Workshop's Stirland Mud texture paint. When this dried, I drybrushed it successively with Bestial Brown, Vermin Brown, Vomit Brown (Tau Light Ochre) and finally Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone).

So there you have it, my entry model and how to paint one just like it. Wish me luck, and let me know if any of my tips prove useful to y'all!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Night Runner! I'm currently tied for first place I think but the voting takes place over a week so that could all change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job.I love this stuff.Best of luck.you \m/
    Promotional backpacks

    ReplyDelete