To give myself an outline of what I will do in preparation for the project, I decided to draw up an army list to stick to, painting whatever took my fancy each month. These armies will end up battling each other so I had to take that into consideration and my army list will need to be flexible and adaptive, an all rounder to fight any army and stand a fair chance. So readers, here is the list I have come up with and how I intend to employ it in my games...
- Captain Cato Sicarius (200pts)
- Tactical Squad: 10 man unit with Heavy Bolter & Flamer. Sergeant replaces Boltgun with Chainsword. Dedicated Transport - Drop Pod with Locator Beamer. (215pts)
- Tactical Squad: 10 man unit with Lascannon & Plasma Gun. Sergeant has Teleport Homer. Dedicated Transport - Rhino. (240pts)
- Tactical Squad: 10 man unit with Multi-Melta & Melta Gun. Dedicated Transport - Rhino. (210pts)
- Terminator Squad: 5 man unit with Assault Cannon & 2 x Chainfists (230pts)
- Dreadnought with Assault Cannon (115pts)
- Assault Squad: 5 man unit with Flamer. Sergeant has Storm Shield and Power Sword (140pts)
- Land Speeder Squadron: 2 Land Speeders, both Tornado Patterns with Multi-Meltas and Heavy Bolters (140pts)
Total: 1,500 points
The plan with this list is to balance anti-infantry and anti-tank with plenty of scoring units which, due to the Combat Squads rule, can be split into 6 smaller scoring units. Each Tactical Squad has a different role, one is anti-infantry (Heavy Bolter/Flamer), one is anti-tank (Multi-Melta/Melta) and can do either averagely (Lascannon/Plasma). Terminators I've realised is an absolute must, their 2+ save and 5+ invulnerable make them especially meaty in 6th edition, and it is the reason I've also equipped locator beacons and teleport homers in the army. The Dreadnought is there to add some fire power and the Assault Squad is there to lend some close combat punch. The Land Speeders have been added to add some hard hitting and serious anti-tank/anti-infantry where it will be needed. Finally, I took Cato Sicarius as my HQ choice because for 200 points, he's a steal, and his ability to give a special rule to any tactical squad allows me a bit of flexibility to whatever army I fight.
So what do you all think? Anything you would change? All comments welcome!