Saturday, 7 September 2013

Tutorial: An alternative Ultramarine blue

I decided to change up my method of painting blue when I restarted my Ultramarines. I tried several methods, including experimenting with glazes and washes, different undercoats, basecoat techniques etc. but eventually I came up with a method that made me just go "this is it". I've had plenty of people loving my work on this blue so I thought I would share my secrets here on my blog. So here are the colours you're going to need:

Kantor Blue
Altdorf Guard Blue
Drakenhof Nightshade
Fenrisian Grey
Guilliman Blue Glaze

Steps 1, 2 & 3

Step 1: Mix 50/50 Kantor Blue and Altdorf Guard Blue and basecoat the all the bits you want blue using the mix, even the recesses. I found it easier to pour the two colours into a separate pot with a little water to thin it down and mix together vigorously just to avoid constantly mixing the colours up and to keep a nice, consistent layer.

Step 2: Wash the entire model with a generous (but not too generous) coat of Drakenhof Nightshade.

Step 3: Highlight every raised part of the model, as well as the blues inside the shoulder pads with thinned Altdorf Guard Blue. Do not use the mixture from step 1 for this, use the colour as is.

Steps 4 & 5

Step 4: Mix 50/50 Altdorf Guard Blue and Fenrisian Grey and apply it to all the upper most points of the raised areas. Don't make these highlights too fine, that comes at the next stage...

Step 5: Finally, apply pure Fenrisian Grey to the finest points of the highlights just to add some sharpness and vibrancy to the miniature. This will really make your dark blues pop out. Once you've done this, you're done!

There ya go, your Ultramarines are one step closer to being ready to wipe out Xenos scum!

No comments:

Post a Comment