Monday, 7 October 2013

First Combat Squad VI Octavian Completed

"Between them the members of Squad Octavian have earnt an impressive total of fifteen Marksman Honour badges for their uncanny precision."

After I saw the old veteran model aiming, I decided immediately that it was going to be Squad Octavian's sergeant. Coupled with the silencer component and the head crest from Anvil Industry, it works really well with the whole roman/sniper feel of the squad. The look of him raising his bolt gun, staring down the scope of his stalker pattern (most commonly utilised by the Ultramarines) reinforces the marksman theme I was going for.

I attempted to reflect the marksman theme subtly with the rest of the squad, all weapons (other than the special/heavy weaponist) have scopes attached to their boltguns, and all but the womble marine have silencer components... I would have added it to the womble marine too, but the position of his gun would have made the gun too long for him to stand on his base properly, so I just didn't bother.

I also added a bionic eye head to the heavy bolter guy as I felt a targeter on a heavy bolter would just look ridiculous. Instead I imagined the marine having an inbuilt targeter eye that allowed him to zoom into his target.

It felt a little plain last time to do no freehand work, so, as you can see from the above pic there is a free handed Ultramarine symbol on the melta marine's head. The sergeant's head was painted using a similar method to the blue, using a Khorne Red base, Agrax Earthshade wash and a highlight of Evil Suns Scarlet, Troll Slayer Orange and a 50/50 mix of Troll Slayer Orange and Flash Gitz Yellow.

Very happy with these squad, even more so than the last squad. Next on my to-do list will be my entry for my group's latest painting contest which is also a Codex Space Marines entry, so stay tuned for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment