Tuesday, 31 December 2013

2013 Resolutions: The Results!

It's the last day of 2013 and time to see how my resolutions panned out. Not good on glance to be honest, I've had an awful year both personally and hobbywise. I've been ill a lot, in hospital a few times, financially broke and working awkward hours, so it's been a struggle. Never-the-less, it's time to see those all important results. Stay tuned tomorrow for my 2014 resolutions!

1. Have a fully painted 3,000 point Necron Army

FAILED - I actually think that my Triarch Stalker (as seen left) was the last, possibly only thing I painted this year and that was back in... when? February? The problem was that I got too caught up in other things, like painting miniatures for presents, painting contests and then real life. Oh, and the release of the Space Marine codex didn't help the dynastic cause either. Still there's always if/when I get bored of painting Ultramarines and if rumours are true, it'll be 2015 when the new Necron codex is released.

2. Have a fully painted (Legal) 1,500 point Bretonnian Army

FAILED - This is pretty evident from my complete, fully painted army to the left here. Yeah, not great. I suppose hearing about the new Bretonnian Army Book is only just round the corner made me want to hold back, or maybe it's because I looked at all those horses and went "I really don't want to paint that many horses right now". Tedious, tedious, tedious. They're something I need to be in the right frame of mind to paint and this year I just haven't been. I'm sure I'll eventually do these but right now I'm more interested in guns and skeletal robots.


3. Enter all my hobby group's painting contests

FAILED - I entered 4/12 of these, unfortunately I didn't write about two of them because I lost my momentum about March/April time and took a while to find my feet again. I entered the Non-Astartes Imperial model (Culexus), Chaos (see left), Bike/Cavalry (see Bretonnians) and HQ or equivalent (My Hobbit Goblin King), the latter of the two I didn't write about. Once I missed one, I found it hard to motivate myself to seek out the models I needed just to complete this task. I might slightly amend this for target for 2014.



4. Play 2 battles every month against different armies

FAILED - As soon as Games Workshop Wood Green closed, a spanner was thrown in the works as I was always in there and can just pick up a game as long as a table was free. Now my new local GW is the Enfield store and, don't get me wrong it's a great store and Jamie who works there is an awesome guy, but they have 1 table and you need to book it in advance. I had 1 game against Khorne Daemons and lost, and I had a game or two against my friend's Tyranids but otherwise games have been very dry on the ground. Hopefully this'll change.



5. Write a battle report every month

FAILED - Pretty hard to write a battle report every month when I can't even game every month! I've tried filling the void with articles that I hope you have all enjoyed reading, but it's not good enough really is it? I need to figure out how to get more games in or just be really hot on phoning Enfield for bookings. Or set up my own gaming den. We'll see how it all goes, I already have my Tyranid buddy itching for a game after his codex is released, a Blood Angels player wanting to battle me as well as a few others. We shall see next year...



6. Start "Project: Smurfs"

SUCCESS - Yay! One success, finally! To be honest I fully expected myself to still be painting Necrons into December when I wrote these resolutions, but then A Tale Of X Gamers came and didn't continue and I painted Sicarius to start the project. The project slowly died and then the Space Marine codex was released and my vigor was returned and now I have a small force of Ultramarines building, and there's no stopping the Marine train now! Here's to more in 2014.


7. Get some terrain done and play a game on my own board

PARTIAL - Now, ah, here's where I have a problem being decisive about whether I completed this or not. See, no terrain has been worked on this year other than a few buildings being stuck together. However, I have played a game on my board, I just never wrote about it on this blog because I forgot my camera, d'oh! Basically the verdict was that I lost and it was against my Tyranid buddy. The game board was actually a little larger than what we were used to and looked amazing. There's really very little point in working too much on terrain because there's very little room to play games in my new place. Maybe next year I should add to resolve this problem to my list? Maybe I will. Stay tuned...






8. HOBBIT!

YOU DECIDE! - I don't know how to mark this so you decide. I said my box set can't go to waste, but what does that mean exactly? Start the army I wanted to start as in Dwarves? Open the box up? Paint something from it? I've painted the Goblin King from the box set and the box itself has indeed been opened, so have I technically succeeded or just trying to make out that I succeeded? In any case I've only painted what you see on the left for the Hobbit. Sad but true. Didn't expect to even get this far to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment