Monday, 17 March 2014

Painting Contest Entry: Chief Librarian Tigurius

Well it's been a good while since my last painting contest post (over a year in fact!), but I hope this one is worth it. Last month's painting contest category in my hobby group was "Lords of War", the rules were only allowed to enter a special (named) character into the contest. Well you all know me, if I can fit a miniature I can use in my current army into these things I will, so I decided to go with Varro Tigurius, or as I like to call him, "Tigger". Currently the model stands 3rd out of 13 entries, but there's a whole week for that to change...

For my army I decided to go with retro Tigurius for a few reasons. The first was that I owned the second edition version of the miniature from way, way back and all it needed was paint stripping, and the second reason is because the current miniature is fugly. Seriously, the new Tigurius looks more akin to the Hunchback of Notre Dame than to one of the noble warriors of Ultramar.

Painting the miniature was fairly run of the mill for the most part. I began with the armour and painted it as I do with all my Ultramarines. This gave me the foundation with which to work with so I could really get stuck into doing a top notch job on the rest of the details. Other parts of the model I painted in typical Art of Warhammer fashion such as the golds and a fairly simplistic way of painting the metal (Leadbelcher base, Nuln Oil wash and Runefang Steel highlights). I'm already very happy with my standards of painting these particular details so I took the advice of that old saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it". I already get complimented for my blues and golds so I wasn't prepared to change it, besides they've become my signature style, like my own watermark on a miniature. The leather and cloth is something else I had down to a tee as well. The leather was done with Mournfang Brown base, Agrax Earthshade wash, 50/50 mix of Mournfang Brown/Skrag Brown for layer and 2 highlights of 50/50 Skrag Brown/Zamesi Desert and then pure Zamesi Desert. The Cloth was simply Steel Legion Drab base, Baneblade Brown layer and Rakarth Flesh highlight (the same was applied to the purity seal parchment).

The most loved part of Tigurius according to everyone who has seen the miniatue is the face, and I'm most proud of it myself. The flesh was done with a base of Bugman's Glow, a wash of Reikland Fleshade, then starting with a 50/50 mix of Bugman's Glow/Tallarn Flesh I added more Ushabti Bone to the mix to build the highlights. The OSL on the eyes was painted with watered down Caledor Sky, using some old Guilliman Blue Wash in the recesses and then adding some Scar White to the blue for the highlights. The red was done in a similar fashion but using Khorne Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet and Troll slayer Orange instead with no wash involved.

Otherwise the bone was painted with a base of Balor Brown, Agrax Earthshade wash and then building up the highlights by adding some Ushabti Bone to the Balor Brown each time. The whites were done with a base of Dawnstone Grey, layered with a 50/50 mix of Dawnstone Grey/Ulthuan Grey, first highlight of Ulthuan Grey and a final highlight of Scar White. Finally I decided to use one of the Sternguard backpacks in place of the model's original backpack for a few reasons, firstly the old backpack looks out of place in my army now, secondly a paper banner looks out of place in my army now and thirdly, I can't be bothered to paint Tigurius's banner from scratch right now.

Well that's all for this post, but before I go the eagle eyed readers may have noticed the Ultramarine symbol on the left shoulder pad. This was green stuffed as I really hate special character models having transfers on them and, for some bizarre reason the old Tigurius model doesn't have one already sculpted. If you'd like to learn how to green stuff your own Ultramarine symbols then check out this brilliant tutorial over at a Tale of Painters.

Check out the Resolution Monitor!

1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete