Sunday, 20 April 2014

Another Army: Dave's Blood Angels

A rather fitting Another Army entry today comes from Dave whose Blood Angels made an appearance in my Table Top Nation post last year. Dave has been collecting his Blood Angels since before I even started and has built up more than just an apocalypse sized army, in fact I would say there are at least a few companies in the mix. I was hugely impressed with his army when I first saw it last year and Dave graciously accepted my invite to have his children of Sanguinius spotlighted on my humble blog.

Children of Blood

Like any good Blood Angel player, Dave has plenty of close combat death with which he can sink his metaphorical fangs in with. Although Dave admits that he spends less time painting his basic troopers that doesn't mean he hasn't built up some very nice troopers in the name of the Primarch. Even some of the numerous Assault Marines littered about his force have had lovingly hand painted assault cross placed on their jump packs, and some have even had some kit bashing done to them such as the odd standing (not jumping) Asartes here and there. I couldn't help but admire the thought that wen into these poses, from personal experience I have found Assault Marines notorious to get looking right but Dave looks to have accomplished such a feat and make it look simple. They look striking even when among the other infantry of the army.

Another kind of Assault Marines... Death Company

I was particularly interested that Dave, although having many Assault Troops as befitting of his Chapter has spent quite a considerable amount of time working on the non-slice and dice Marines too, already building up a fairly numerous amount of Devastators, a decent amount of Scouts and even some Pre-Heresy style Blood Angels.

Pre-Heresy style Marines

Blood Angel Scouts

Full 10 Man squad of Devastators...

Including their Sargent

Altogether Now

What kind of Space Marine army as big as this would be complete without a convention of the renown and particularly blood thirsty? Dave has taken a lot of time and care to make his named characters stand out among his troops, all with their own particular feel and themes. Astorath the Grim is the newest addition only being finished in the last year or so and didn't appear in my Table Top Nation post from last year. Sadly, as a trade off Dave didn't bring his Lemartes this time around but the sheer eye candy of Dante, Mephiston, Corbulo, Tycho and, of course, Astorath together should be enough to satisfy you all on the glorious detail to attention Dave has given them. 

And whilst we're on the subject of characters, the force also includes a healthy dose of Chaplains and a Librarian with honour guard based on Forgeworld's Sevrin Loth bundle.

Blood Angels Chaplain with Jump Pack

Blood Angels Librarian with Honour Guard

Tanks for the Memories

Being into the same army for so long, there are bound to be tanks in great numbers, and Dave's Blood Angels are no exception. Although I didn't see much in the way of drop pods, there were tanks of all different kinds. From before I know there is at least another Vindicator in the mix but the one he brought for this article can be seen on the left. There are other non-standard variants of different tanks in the army as well, including an Executioner Predator. Dave admits he paints his tanks differently depending on the model and, when asked if the difference in looks bothered him he responded "No. Each tank has been around for a different amount of time, the paint is sure to wear thin on a few. Some would be darker than others." Fair enough, I wish my OCD allowed me to look at my own armies the same way!

Here is some armoured eye candy.

Various Vehicle Variants

Venerable and Death Company Dreadnoughts

So, what now?

Although Dave never spoke about what his future plans for his Blood Angels are, the army itself is self evident. To my mind it looks like a fully painted, high pointed army and that gives Dave full reign of painting whatever he feels like, whenever he feels like it.

He has, however stated on numerous occasions that he is working on some Imperial Guard (sorry, "Astra Militarum") allies for his force but I have yet to see these models in person. He has also, as a member of my hobby group put together and painted some Pit Vipers, the chapter that has become our group's official Chapter. I am as yet unsure as to what Chapter Tactics he is using for these guys, but I'm sure you'll all agree they look great and make a nice contrast to Dave's beloved Blood Angels. Putting this squad together wasn't enough, however and Dave felt he needed that one squad to bridge the gap. He settled on the same idea as I had and added in some Deathwatch for the fun of it. I'd like to mention at this point that Dave is privy to my half-joking dislike of Blood Angels but massive love of Ultramarines (it's become the center of friendly banter between us) and was quick to point out that his Deathwatch sargent was a boy in blue. I like his style.

Ultramarine Sargent
More Deathwatch

Even more Deathwatch
Well that about wraps up this edition of Another Army, stay tuned for May/June's offering where we will be keeping with the Imperium and looking at some of Rogal's boys, but before I go, is this a Limited Edition ally I see before me?



Check out the Resolution Monitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment